NY/NJ Baykeeper is an independent 501(c)3 and was founded in 1989 by Andy Willner after he saw firsthand the devastating effect the Exxon Bayway Oil Spill had on the Arthur Kill. Today, we serve as the citizen advocate for the harbors, bays, streams and shores of the NY-NJ Harbor Estuary by preserving and restoring habitat, influencing land use decisions, stopping polluters, championing public access and educating the public.
NY/NJ Baykeeper’s mission is to protect, preserve and restore the NY-NJ Harbor Estuary, which runs from the Tappan Zee Bridge in the north, Jamaica Bay, New York, in the east, Sandy Hook, New Jersey, in the south and includes the New York Harbor.
- Advancing upgraded stormwater and combined sewer outfall legislation;
- Suing recalcitrant polluters like NL Industries that have allegedly contaminated the Lower Raritan River;
- Expanding our groundbreaking Oyster Restoration and Living Shoreline programs;
- Protecting our urban parks and open spaces;
- Continuing to preserve and improve open space;
- Continue fighting to ensure the public has easy access to the waterfront.
- Oyster Restoration: Produce juvenile oysters at the Aquaculture Facility at Naval Weapon Station Earle.
- Conservation Program: Preserve the remaining wildlife habitat through land acquisition, innovation planning and ecological restoration.
- Pumpout Boat Program: Helping to reduce the amount of raw sewage disposed in our watershed.
- Raritan Riverkeeper Program: Stops polluters, champions public access, and influences land use decisions.
- Natural set oysters;
- Blocked millionaire’s marina and ultra-luxury golf course at Liberty State Park;
- Diverted over 46,000 gallons of waste that otherwise could have ended up in the bay through our pumpout boat program in 2017;
- Educated over 3,000 kids and kids-at-heart in 2017;
- Expanded the first-ever living shoreline in Raritan Bay by more than double.
We are proud to have the support of community members who support our work by becoming a member or donating. We also have the support of numerous foundations as well as government entities.
- The Fund for New Jersey;
- The Victoria Foundation;
- The Geraldine R. Dodge Foundation;
- Proud Pour;
- Forty North Oyster Farms;
- Wine & Spirits Magazine;
- The John and Wendy Neu Foundation;
- The Wallerstein Foundation;
- The Mushett Family Foundation;
- The Corporate Wetlands Restoration Partnership;
- U.S. Navy;
- Environmental Endowment of New Jersey;
- The Marta Heflin Foundation;
- Biohabitats Inc.;
- And many others.
NY/NJ Baykeeper was the pioneer of oyster restoration in New Jersey’s portion of the Raritan Bay and created the very first living shoreline in New Jersey’s portion of the Raritan Bay.
Where: 30 Washington St., Matawan
Serving: NY/NJ Baykeeper defends the waterways and shorelines of all five boroughs of New York City and northern/central New Jersey
Key members: Greg Remaud, CEO; Meredith DeMarco, chief operating officer
For more information, please contact Elana Knopp, communications director, at: email@example.com or 732-430-6736.