The New Jersey Tech Council honored three people and 11 companies at its 22nd annual Anniversary Awards celebration Thursday night at the Bridgewater Marriott.
One of them, David Sorin, is a managing partner at Newark-based law firm McCarter & English. He is also co-chair of the Venture Capital & Emerging Growth Companies Practice. Much of Sorin’s practice focuses on emerging growth, middle-market technology and tech-enabled and life science enterprises.
“Twenty-three years ago, there was no statewide organization for the support of technology and entrepreneurship in the state of New Jersey,” Sorin told ROI-NJ. “So, there was a lot of success, but no ecosystem.
“(But) all of these things built on each other, and today we have one of the most vibrant and thriving ecosystems for technology and venture capital in the country.”
The Tech Council aimed to honor the region’s top companies and their leaders for their business accomplishments in collaboration, partnership and innovation.
“We’re delighted with a really fantastic group of honorees this year and are looking forward to an extraordinary, superhero-themed event this year,” Tech Council CEO Jim Barrood said.
The New Jersey Tech Council is a New Brunswick based nonprofit that provides business development, education, recognition opportunities and networking to technology businesses throughout the state. The council holds conferences, recognition ceremonies and educational and networking programs.
“Gov. (Phil) Murphy has laid out a clear vision for re-establishing New Jersey as a leader in innovation,” Barrood said. “The innovators honored embody the entrepreneurial spirit necessary to turn that vision into a reality.”
A look at the honorees:
- Legislative Champion: Assemblyman Andrew Zwicker
- Martinson-Ballen Tech Supporter Award: Katherine O’Neill, Jumpstart NJ
- Legend of Technology Award: David Sorin, McCarter & English
- Master Technology Award: Nokia Bell Labs
- Public Company of the Year: Conduent
- Private Company of the Year: Marlabs
- Impact Company of the Year: Terracycle
- Innovative Technology Award: Celularity
- Trailblazer Award: Modern Meadow
- Rising Star Award: Barkly Pets
- Outstanding Tech Development: Apprentice.IO
- Consumer Product Award: MARS
- Beacon of Light Award: CMS Technology
- Collaboration Award: ResearchwithNJ