The New Jersey Society of CPAs recognized the winners of its new Volunteer Award at its recent convention in Atlantic City.
The Roseland-based organization honored 28 people, as well as 10 honorable mentions and one posthumous honoree. The winners were chosen based on their contributions to the NJCPA, their local community and accounting students or the public.
The award was created to recognize CPAs’ selfless work, which often goes unnoticed, the NJCPA added.
“The Volunteer Award is a great way to say thank you to many of our members who truly give back to their communities, their local schools and the next generation of CPAs,” CEO and Executive Director Ralph Thomas said in a prepared statement.
The winners are:
- Jean I. Abbott, assistant professor of business studies, accounting, Stockton University, Galloway;
- Lynn Albala, chief financial officer, InfoSight Partners LLC, Oakland;
- Dean Beddow, managing director, risk management, Grant Thornton LLP, Iselin;
- Howard J. Bookbinder, owner, Howard J. Bookbinder, CPA, Fair Lawn;
- Amy Y. Both, manager, Neral & Co. P.A., Wall;
- Walter J. Brasch, managing director, Whitman Business Advisors LLC, Morganville;
- Jeffrey Christakos, chair, Accounting Department, Monmouth University, West Long Branch;
- Reynold P. Cicalese, managing partner, Alloy, Silverstein, Shapiro, Adams, Mulford, Cicalese, Wilson & Co., Cherry Hill;
- Reynold Peter Cicalese III, associate partner, Alloy, Silverstein, Shapiro, Adams, Mulford, Cicalese, Wilson & Co., Cherry Hill;
- Laura M. Crowley, manager, Citrin Cooperman & Co. LLP, Livingston;
- Peter C. DeSarno, controller, NJ Sharing Network, New Providence;
- Carol Donatiello Iocca, partner, Wilkin & Guttenplan P.C., East Brunswick;
- Henrietta Fuchs, partner, CohnReznick LLP, Roseland;
- Elizabeth B. Harper, member of the firm, Sobel & Co. LLC, Livingston;
- Jesse M. Herschbein, accountant, LFL Veritas LLC, Teaneck;
- Megan T. Kelly, supervisor, Sobel & Co. LLC, Livingston;
- Jodi D. Kleuskens, senior tax analyst, Johnson & Johnson, New Brunswick;
- Karen J. Lee, audit manager, Deloitte, Parsippany ;
- Joseph A. Lizza, sole practitioner, Lizza & Associates, Lyndhurst;
- Joseph A. McGrath, audit senior manager, Deloitte, Parsippany;
- Tara Melick, senior accountant, Wilkin & Guttenplan P.C., East Brunswick;
- Jennifer R. Peoples, owner, Jennifer Peoples, CPA, North Plainfield;
- Michelle C. Shapiro, tax manager, Untracht Early LLC, Florham Park;
- Carl Specht, partner, Costantino, Specht, Templeton & Co. LLC, Secaucus;
- Catherine Syslo, director, quality control, CohnReznick LLP, Roseland;
- June M. Toth, managing member, zbt Certified Public Accounting & Consulting LLC, Garwood;
- Michael VanderGoot, manager, lease audit, BDO USA LLP, Woodbridge;
- Paula M. Young, partner, Professional Practice Group, EisnerAmper LLP, Iselin.
The honorable mentions were awarded to:
- Kathleen Bernard, partner, Lota & Bernard LLC, Midland Park;
- Christine M. Darcy, partner, Darcy & Connolly, CPAs LLC, Spring Lake Heights;
- Fausto B. Diaz, senior accountant, Mazars USA LLP, Edison;
- Sandra S. Emmert, financial controller, Samuels Inc., Vauxhall;
- Salvatore M. Grasso, owner/principal, Grasso & Co. LLC CPAs, Hoboken;
- Michael Levy, director of internal audit, Student Transportation of America, Wall;
- Gary S. Mannuzza, managing member, Mannuzza & Co. LLC, Scotch Plains;
- Russell A. Schwartz, senior manager, HBK CPAs & Consultants, Lawrenceville;
- Martin M. Shenkman, attorney-at-law, Martin M. Shenkman P.C. Attorneys at Law, Fort Lee;
- Lucy Turnage, vice president, CIT Group, Livingston.
Ronald Gray, former managing member, Lembo & Gray LLC in Wanaque, was honored posthumously.
Read more from ROI-NJ:
- Youth is served: Krom, NJCPA president at 35, braces for accounting’s coming changes
- The Interview Issue: CPA group’s Thomas talks about tax bill’s impact