Princeton Junction-based TMA, a nonprofit that focuses on tobacco and nicotine issues globally, announced it has acquired SpecComm International Inc. and its publications.
Raliegh, North Carolina-based SpecComm’s assets include the GTNF Conference, TabExpo, Tobacco Reporter, Vapor Voice, Tobacco Farm Quarterly, Tobacconist, Pipes & Tobacco, and Cigars & Leisure magazines.
Under the deal, TMA will create a new division, The GTNF Trust, to operate the GTNF Conference, Tobacco Reporter Magazine and Vapor Voice Magazine.
“All of us on the TMA board are very excited about the future for TMA with the inclusion of these new assets,” Mike Ligon, TMA board chairman, said. “TMA will create a tobacco and nicotine content experience for industry and all stakeholders that has more depth and coverage than anywhere else. And watch for new topical content coming soon.”
TMA currently has 26 publications that provide information and analysis on tobacco and related issues.
The company also announced leadership changes:
- Chris Greer, TMA CEO and president, will now oversee TMA and The GTNF Trust;
- Robert Crosby, vice president and chief financial officer at TMA, will oversee finances and administration for TMA and The GTNF Trust;
- Elise Rasmussen has been named The GTNF Trust executive director and TMA vice president of sales and marketing;
- Taco Tuinstra, Tobacco Reporter’s editor in chief, has been named TMA vice president and chief content officer;
- Darryl Johnson will join TMA as vice president and chief operating officer;
- Mike MacDonald will join TMA as director of product and circulation;
- Chris Moll will join TMA as director of information services.
“All of us at TMA are eager to combine TMA’s platform with the tremendous content of the magazines and successes of the GTNF and TabExpo,” Greer said. “TMA has been working on this purchase for some time and the Board and staff believe that the acquisition brings more value to membership, provides enhanced content for our subscribers, and enables TMA, GTNF, and TabExpo to deliver world class forums, conferences and expositions that bring people and ideas together.”