For any number of reasons, the majority of remote jobs require their workers to be based in a specific city, state, region or country.
To help job seekers find the states with highest amount of remote job opportunities, FlexJobs, an online service for job seekers, has ranked the Top 15 states where companies recruited the most state-based remote workers in 2018 as well as each state’s Top 3 most popular remote industry.
New Jersey was ranked No. 12 on its list, with data entry, legal and HR and recruiting being named the most popular career choice while remotely working in the state.
FlexJobs found that Jersey City has the largest remote worker population (3.5%), followed by Camden (1.9%), Newark (1.6%) and Trenton (0.09%).
“According to a new report, between 2010 and 2017, 16% of all white-collar jobs added to the economy have been filled by people primarily working from home,” Sara Sutton, founder and CEO of FlexJobs, said. “As this and other data demonstrates, remote work overall is absolutely on the rise, including those that have a geographic requirement, but also the highly coveted remote jobs that can be done from any location.”
California, Texas and New York topped out the list with the highest number of remote job postings last year, FlexJobs said.
Here’s the Top 15 states with the highest number of remote job listings in 2018, according to FlexJobs, including their most popular remote industries:
- California (data entry, legal, nonprofit and philanthropy);
- Texas (data entry, accounting and finance, software development);
- New York (data entry, legal, accounting and finance);
- Virginia (data entry, computer and IT, legal);
- Florida (date entry, legal, editing);
- Illinois (graphic design, data entry, accounting and finance);
- Pennsylvania (data entry, computer and IT, legal);
- Georgia (data entry, accounting and finance, computer and IT);
- North Carolina (data entry, nonprofit and philanthropy, computer and IT);
- Massachusetts (data entry, computer and IT, accounting and finance);
- Washington (data entry, graphic design, editing);
- New Jersey (data entry, legal, HR and recruiting);
- Arizona (nonprofit and philanthropy, HR and recruiting, data entry);
- Minnesota (data entry, accounting and finance, engineering);
- Ohio (HR and recruiting, data entry, computer and IT).
For more information, click here.