“As the Best Global Universities rankings continue to expand in number of schools and subjects to fulfill the needs of prospective students, we remain consistent in our mission to evaluate schools around the world on their research,” said Robert Morse, chief data strategist at U.S. News. “A major emphasis on academic research is what sets this methodology apart from our other university rankings.”
The publication analyzed nearly 1,500 institutions in the U.S. and 80 other countries, ranking them on 13 indicators that measured their academic performance and reputations. New this year are six additional subject rankings, bringing the total to 28.
Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts was the No. 1 overall school.
Here are the New Jersey schools on the list and their rankings:
- Princeton University, No. 6;
- Rutgers University-New Brunswick, No. 105;
- Rutgers University-Newark, No. 706;
- New Jersey Institute of Technology, No. 803;
- Stevens Institute of Technology, No. 1,121;
- Rowan University, No. 1,420.
“Many prospective students are looking to other countries for their education,” Anita Narayan, managing editor of Education at U.S. News, said. “The Best Global Universities rankings give these students a starting point for their search. In addition to the rankings, students should also consider their fluency in the language of instruction, the fields of study that the school offers and the costs that come from studying in another country.”
The Top 10 schools in the ranking are all found in either the U.S. or the United Kingdom.
Here are Top 10 overall Best Global Universities:
- Harvard University;
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology;
- Stanford University;
- University of California-Berkeley;
- University of Oxford (United Kingdom);
- California Institute of Technology;
- Columbia University;
- Princeton University;
- University of Cambridge (United Kingdom);
- University of Washington-Seattle.
U.S. News also found the U.S. has the most universities in the overall ranking with 249, followed by:
- China: 188;
- U.K.: 86;
- Japan: 82.
To see the full methodology and rankings, click here.