Looking for a way to give to those very much in need — and be able to do it in a safe and socially distanced way?
The New Jersey Devils and the Prudential Center have teamed up with Goya and Public Service Electric & Gas for the Gift of Giving 2020 Holiday Drive, a virtual fundraiser benefiting Jersey Cares, Believe in Newark Foundation and Newark Working Kitchens.
The initiative’s beneficiaries will provide coats, toys and meals throughout the city of Newark. Over the last two seasons, the Devils and Prudential Center have donated more than 5,500 coats, 13,500 toys and 50,000 pounds or 40,000 meals to the Newark community.
Please note, due to COVID-19 restrictions, no physical donations of clothing or toys can be accepted.
The Gift of Giving, which launched this morning, will run through midnight Dec. 14. All proceeds will be split equally between Jersey Cares, Believe in Newark Foundation and Newark Working Kitchens. Here’s a look at how:
- The Jersey Cares Coat Drive has mobilized the collection and distribution of thousands of “gently used” winter coats to men, women, children and infants in need for more than two decades;
- Newark Working Kitchens activates local restaurants in Newark, one of the cities hit hardest by the COVID-19 pandemic, to cook nutritious meals for low-income seniors and families and people without homes;
- The Believe in Newark Foundation Inc. serves as a vehicle to provide resources, technical assistance and foster greater giving to support the nonprofit community and the residents of the city of Newark.
- Toys will be distributed to Newark residents at a December event in partnership with Mayor Ras J. Baraka and the city of Newark.
Fans may participate in the virtual giving by visiting NewJerseyDevils.com/GiftofGiving.
And those who are able to give will know exactly how their generosity is being spent. Gifts of all sizes are welcome, but here are just some of the ways contributions will be used:
- $100 = Good for 10 meals prepared by local Newark restaurants for low-income seniors and families and those without homes in Newark;
- $100 = 5-10 toys for children 12 and under in Newark;
- $104 = New coats for a family of four in Newark.
Those who donate $35 or more will receive a choice between two exclusive New Jersey Devils themed T-shirts.
Devils President Jake Reynolds said the Gift of Giving campaign is another way the organization can support the community.
“On and off the ice, Newark is our home, and our commitment to the community continues to be of the utmost importance,” he said. “We realized how instrumental Devils’ fans have been in contributing to the Newark community throughout the years, and we wanted to keep the initiative alive through our online Gift of Giving 2020 Holiday Drive.
“The goal of this virtual fundraiser is to motivate others to support residents of Newark who are in need, and we are grateful to our partners at Goya and PSE&G for joining us in that continued mission.”
To kick off this initiative, Goya has committed to donate 5,000 pounds of food to Newark Working Kitchens.
Rafael Toro, director of public relations for Goya Foods, said the company was pleased to help others in need. It is just the latest of a series of donations by Goya, which by year’s end will have distributed over 3.5 million pounds of food throughout the United States since the start of the pandemic.
“This holiday season is bittersweet for many families,” Toro said. “We know that our community is struggling due to the pandemic, and the best thing we can do to help is to donate food. Thanks to the help of our partners and many organizations like Prudential Center, we are able to provide food for hundreds of families in New Jersey.
“We are thrilled to kick off the Gift of Giving 2020 Holiday Drive alongside the New Jersey Devils and Prudential Center,” said Frederick Daum, executive director, customer operations, PSE&G. “The beneficiary organizations are beacons of hope in the community, and we are proud to support them in their mission. This initiative is a meaningful way that fans can support vulnerable communities during this time.”
The Gift of Giving 2020 Holiday Drive launches three months following the Devils and Prudential Center’s Donate a Plate fundraiser and $200,000 donation to Newark Working Kitchens on behalf of the Devils Care Foundation.