A new survey holds some promise for the beleaguered Atlantic City casino industry, according to Stockton University’s Lloyd D. Levenson Institute of Gaming, Hospitality and Tourism.
LIGHT said in a news release Monday that more than 70% of people showing an interest in Atlantic City actually plan to visit within the next six months. The survey looked at more than 800 people who visited the Do AC website during early February.
The city’s casinos were closed March 16, 2020, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and reopened July 2 with capacity restrictions in place.
The survey found that, among those who had already visited since the reopening, 82% planned to visit again within the next six months.
“Those who have visited since the casinos reopened say they were satisfied with the safety precautions in place,” Phil Kening, a member of the Stockton faculty and lead researcher on the project, said in a prepared statement.
The survey found that 42% of the respondents had visited Atlantic City since the reopening, with those who had not citing COVID-19 as the reason. Among the visitors, nearly 80% said they were “very” or “extremely satisfied” with safety precautions in place.
“The casinos and other dining and entertainment venues have done a good job implementing COVID-19 safety measures while also still providing the experiences visitors expect when they come to Atlantic City,” Jane Bokunewicz, coordinator of LIGHT, said in a statement. “Even as restrictions are gradually lifted, and more people get a vaccine, the venues will still have to demonstrate that they are taking all necessary precautions to make visitors feel welcomed and safe.”
For more information, click here.