Cooper’s Ferry Partnership in Camden was one of nine organizations to receive a 2021 Keep Communities Flowing grant from the American Water Charitable Foundation, the nonprofit created by American Water announced this week.
Cooper’s Ferry received $18,000 to improve water quality and mitigate local flooding through a communitywide Adopt-A-Drain program.
“The American Water Charitable Foundation is proud to support communities served by American Water through the Keep Communities Flowing grant program,” Carrie Williams, president of the foundation, said in a prepared statement. “Through this competitive grant program, we focus on high-impact projects and initiatives that engage the community in water-based education, the environment and community sustainability to empower communities to be strong, vibrant, healthy and environmentally friendly.”
The Keep Communities Flowing grant program is in its third year. It provides up to $20,000 in grant funding to public charities with a program or project that connects to one of American Water’s core focus areas: water and the environment, water and healthy living, environmental education, and community sustainability.
Nine projects in seven states received a total of $153,400 in grant money from the charity in 2021. Over its three-year history, the program has distributed grants to 32 projects, totaling $456,000.
The other 2021 grant recipients include:
- Belleville Township High School – District 201, Belleville, Illinois, $20,000;
- Sun Foundation, Peoria, Illinois, $10,000;
- Friends of the Parks Fayette County, Lexington, Kentucky, $20,000;
- Up With Trees, Tulsa, Oklahoma, $20,000;
- Warren County Development Association, Warren County, Pennsylvania, $15,000;
- James River Association, Richmond, Virginia, $14,400;
- Greater Kanawha Valley Foundation, Charleston, West Virginia, $20,000.
Grantees for the program require a local American Water sponsor. For more information, contact the foundation at email@example.com. Applications for the next round of grant funding will be announced in 2022.