The way Dr. Achintya Moulick sees it, the future of health care innovation starts with collaboration.
That’s why Moulick, the CEO of CarePoint Health, was so delighted to hold a ribbon-cutting Wednesday for CarePoint’s Healthcare Innovation Center — what he is calling a groundbreaking initiative focused on bringing together clinicians and external thought leaders to collaborate and redesign health care.
The center will be located on the Bayonne Medical Center campus.
Working together to solve health care’s hardest problems, the Innovation Center will partner with vendors, investors, startups and visionaries to apply clinical expertise and excellence while piloting novel applications, approaches and concepts to improve the patient experience.
Moulick feels these collaborations will allow CarePoint Health to be an early adopter of technology and enable its clinical experts to shape the experience and use of technologies for the benefit of its patients and community.
“CarePoint is dedicated to promoting a healthy exchange of information and technology transfer in order to contribute to the greater good of the global health care community and to realize a fully connected health future for patients,” he said.
The current health care technology ecosystem is overly complex for patients and providers, creating gaps in care for patients, he said. CarePoint Health’s Innovation Center will address this problem through multiple approaches, while innovating around hospital-related inefficiencies.
Moulick said the pandemic proves the need for centers such as these.
“Out of major health crises in the past, we have seen major innovation in the medical field and society,” he said. “We will see a similar push following COVID and (that is) why Innovation Centers like this will be vital.”
Core tenets of the Innovation Center include:
- Creating and nurturing a creative, collaborative and ongoing dialogue within a hospital environment for staff to voice their innovative ideas and concepts;
- Partnering with new and groundbreaking patient-centered startups, investors and firms that address immediate patient health and social needs that tie into overall well-being of individuals;
- Connecting and applying national-level expertise and thought leaders to the challenge; provide tools and intellectual support to doctors outside major academic centers, ultimately to engage in biomedical and structural research;
- Aligning services within health care systems to establish the necessary data foundations, and team performance to establish a value-based care system;
- Exploring the role of the Internet of Things in health care settings and expand use in home health settings.
To showcase the opportunities the program presents, CarePoint has partnered with Aetho’s Beame solution, an augmented reality telepresence platform that teleports people into meetings as full body avatars to engage with virtual 2D and 3D content overlaid in the real-world environment.