Peter Fernandez, a senior vice president at Wyndham Hotels & Resorts, was reelected as chair of the New Jersey City University Foundation board, the group announced this week.
Hernandez, who joined the foundation in 2013 and was elected to his first term as chair in 2018, was one of four people elected to a three-year term on the board.
- Ed O’Connor, the founder and principal partner of Princeton Financial Consultants who previously served as board treasurer, was elected vice chair;
- Stephen Hess, a managing director for the Northeast Region of J.P. Morgan Private Bank, was elected treasurer. Hess has served on the board since 2018;
- Andrea Ducas, senior program officer at the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, was elected secretary. She has served on the board since June 2019.
Hernandez said he was eager to begin his next term.
“I am excited about my next term as chair of the foundation board and the incredible talent at the executive and foundation board positions,” he said. “My first term as chair was about rebuilding and growing engagement.
“During this term, we developed our mission, value and vision statements, strengthening our compliance through governance and board assessments, attracted five new board members and continued to communicate and share our passion to raise funds to enrich and further the lives of our students, allowing them to enter to learn and exit to serve.”
Hernandez detailed some of the board’s priorities for the next term, including:
- Fundraising efforts for the Guarini Performing Arts Center’s $10 million campaign;
- Developing a comprehensive mentoring program through a partnership with the board of trustees and advisory boards;
- Growing scholarship funding to help students graduate with little to no debt.
New Jersey City University President Sue Henderson said the foundation plays a key role in the school’s success.
“NJCU’s critical goal of enhancing student success will continue to be realized, thanks to the commitment and leadership of our foundation board,” she said. “We are grateful for the leadership of Peter, Ed, Stephen and Andrea. Their vision, experience and result-oriented goals will be vital for the foundation to build upon its previously successful philanthropic efforts.”