Braven Health, the Medicare company jointly owned by Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey, Hackensack Meridian Health and RWJBarnabas Health, announced it will have three Medicare Advantage plans available for 2022 — for both individuals and employers.
Braven Health, which launched in January, is available in eight counties in New Jersey: Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Middlesex, Monmouth, Ocean, Passaic and Union.
Braven Health officials said their Medicare Advantage plans give members access to Horizon BCBSNJ’s growing managed care network that includes the entire HMH and RWJBH systems and is made up of more than 54,000 providers and 82 network hospitals in New Jersey alone.
In addition, Braven Health’s PPO plans feature nationwide access to more than 620,000 providers and over 4,300 hospitals in 46 participating states.
The Annual Medicare Advantage and Part D enrollment season opened Oct. 15 and continues through Dec. 7. This is when most people eligible for Medicare, including those 65 and older and those with certain disabilities, can buy or change their Medicare plans.
Braven officials said the plans give employers an opportunity to offer any Medicare-eligible employees and retirees group plans that include both Medicare Advantage and Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug options. Plans provide Medicare Part A (hospital insurance) and Medicare Part B (medical insurance) coverage.
Here’s a look at the three plans:
- Braven Medicare Choice (PPO) features a $0 monthly premium, $0 in-network primary care doctor visits, prescription copays starting at $0, routine and comprehensive dental benefits, up to $400 to personalize benefits to fit a member’s needs, plus $280 on an over-the-counter (OTC) benefit card for eligible health items, up to $230 in gift cards for completing preventive screenings and out-of-state network access;
- Braven Medicare Plus (HMO) features a $0 monthly premium, $0 primary care doctor visits, prescriptions with $0 deductibles, prescription copays starting at $0, routine and comprehensive dental benefits, up to $400 to personalize benefits to fit a member’s needs, plus $280 on an OTC benefit card for eligible health items and up to $230 in gift cards for completing preventive screenings;
- Braven Medicare Freedom (PPO) is a low monthly premium plan, featuring $0 in-network primary care doctor visits, prescription copays starting at $0, a $35 monthly premium, routine and comprehensive dental benefits, up to $400 to personalize benefits plus $360 on an OTC benefit card for eligible health items, up to $230 in gift cards for completing preventive screenings and out-of-state network access.
Braven Health officials said they will offer enhanced benefits in its second annual enrollment period this October, including:
- Increased comprehensive dental coverage, up to a maximum of $1,000/year;
- Additional $0 prescription drug tier that includes generic medication for chronic conditions;
- Expanded $200/year fitness reimbursement, which now includes virtual programs and fitness equipment;
- Only health plan in New Jersey that is working with Papa Inc. to provide in-home support services and assistance with everyday tasks. $0 for up to 24 hours of virtual or in-home support services per year with Papa, including transportation to doctor’s appointments, medication pickup, technical guidance, light house help and more, as well as a the opportunity to purchase additional hours using their flex benefits allowance;
- Expanded $200/year flex benefit, which now includes additional hours for Papa in-home support in addition to an activity tracker, therapeutic massage and more;
- Healthy food allowance, which includes delivery service, for eligible members with diabetes, cardiovascular disorders or congestive heart failure who qualify.
Braven Health CEO Luisa Charbonneau said Braven achieved the highest enrollment across its eight counties for any New Jersey Medicare Advantage plan since 2007 when it launched last year.
“We launched Braven Health last year to create a personalized health care experience to meet the unique health needs of our members, and we are doing just that,” she said. “We listened to Medicare-eligible consumers and developed enhanced, cost effective, flexible plans that are designed to put patients first.
“Braven Health’s seamless coordination is a new approach to Medicare, and we look forward to delivering enhanced benefits and high-quality, affordable care to our members.”