HaNew Jersey was ranked as having one of the 10 “safest” hospital systems in the country, according to the latest report by the Leapfrog Group, which was released Wednesday morning.
Twenty-nine New Jersey Hospitals — or 42.9% of the state’s 70 hospitals — were given “A” grades, a percentage that ranks the state No. 9 overall. Only 32% of the 2,901 hospitals surveyed overall received an “A” grade.
In addition, 16 New Jersey hospitals were given “B” grades. No hospital in the state received an “F” — and only two received a “D.”
It was not immediately clear from what time frame the hospitals were judged — or how the pandemic impacted gathering data.
The Leapfrog Group bills itself as a national watchdog organization of employers and other purchasers focused on health care safety.
Its report, released twice a year, assigns a letter grade to U.S. general hospitals based on how well they prevent medical errors, accidents, injuries and infections that kill or harm patients.
The Fall 2021 Hospital Safety Grade represents the largest set of hospitals ever graded.
The safety grades reflect performance on more than 30 evidence‐based measures of patient safety, including for the first time, post‐operative sepsis, blood leakage and falls causing hip injury.
Leapfrog Group CEO Leah Binder said the ratings are more important than ever.
“As the pandemic continues, we all have heightened awareness of the importance of hospitals in our communities and in our lives,” she said. “Now, we have more information on more hospitals than ever before, so people can protect themselves and their families.”
Virginia (56.2%), North Carolina (55.1%), Idaho (53.9%) and Massachusetts (51.7%) were the only states to have more than 50% of their hospitals receive an “A” grade.
Here’s a look at the 29 hospitals in New Jersey that received an “A” grade.
- Bergen New Bridge Medical Center (Paramus)
- Chilton Medical Center (Pompton Plains)
- Englewood Medical Center (Englewood)
- Hackensack Meridian Bayshore Medical Center (Holmdel)
- Hackensack Meridian Hackensack University Medical Center (Hackensack)
- Hackensack Meridian Jersey Shore University Medical Center (Neptune)
- Hackensack Meridian Ocean University Medical Center (Brick)
- Hackensack Meridian Pascack Valley Medical Center (Westwood)
- Hackensack Meridian Riverview Medical Center (Red Bank)
- Hunterdon Medical Center (Flemington)
- Inspira Medical Center-Elimer (Elmer)
- Inspira-Medical Center-Mullica Hll (Mullica Hill)
- Jefferson Cherry Hill Hospital (Cherry Hill)
- Jefferson-Stratford Hospital (Stratford)
- Jefferson Washington Township Hospital (Turnersville)
- Monmouth Medical Center (Long Branch)
- Morristown Medical Center (Morristown)
- Newton Medical Center (Newton)
- Overlook Medical Center (Summit)
- Penn Medicine Princeton Medical Center (Plainsboro)
- RWJ University Hospital Hamilton (Hamilton)
- RWJ-University Hospital Somerville (Somerville)
- Saint Clare’s Hospital of Denville (Denville)
- Saint Clare’s Hospital of Dover (Dover)
- Saint Peter’s University Hospital (New Brunswick)
- Luke’s Warren Campus (Phillipsburg)
- Mary’s General Hospital (Passaic)
- The Valley Hospital (Ridgewood)
- Virtua Voorhees Hospital (Voorhees)