Fifteen hospitals in New Jersey were among 237 identified throughout the country by U.S. News & World Report as the Best Hospitals for Maternity.
The rating, the first of its kind by U.S. News, is an expansion of the U.S. News Best Hospitals rankings, ratings and data offerings — generally considered the gold standard of all hospital rankings.
Ben Harder, managing editor and chief of health analysis at U.S. News & World Report, said the Best Hospitals for Maternity evaluation looks at hospital data relating to only uncomplicated pregnancies — not high-risk pregnancies — and at five different factors:
- Scheduled early deliveries;
- C-section rates in low-risk women;
- Newborn complications;
- Rate of exclusive breast milk feeding;
- Option for vaginal births after cesarean.
Unique to U.S. News, participating hospital profiles also include a variety of relevant information on services and amenities, like private rooms, valet parking and availability of childbirth classes.
“Hospitals that performed well had fewer newborn complications, fewer early deliveries and fewer C-sections compared to other hospitals across the nation,” Harder said.
In order to be recognized among the Best Hospitals for Maternity, a hospital had to submit data from 2019 and its performance had to meet U.S. News’ maternity care standard. Data submission was voluntary; there was no fee to participate in the evaluation.
Here’s a look at the 15 hospitals in New Jersey that were identified:
- Capital Health Medical Center-Hopewell
- Chilton Medical Center
- Englewood Hospital
- Hackensack Meridian Pascack Valley Medical Center
- Hackensack Meridian Raritan Bay Medical Center
- Inspira Medical Center Elmer
- Jefferson Health-Stratford, Cherry Hill and Washington Twp.
- Hackensack Meridian Jersey Shore University Medical Center
- Morristown Medical Center
- Newton Medical Center
- Hackensack Meridian Ocean University Medical Center
- Overlook Medical Center
- Hackensack Meridian Riverview Medical Center
- Virtua Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital
- Virtua Voorhees Hospital
“All families deserve to be informed on how hospitals perform on key indicators of quality, which is why U.S. News has compiled and published a trove of maternal health data from hospitals across the country,” Harder said.
“Now, hundreds of hospital profiles on usnews.com feature relevant, targeted information for parents-to-be to use during their search to find — in consultation with their health care provider — the best local hospital for an uncomplicated pregnancy.”
Click here for the complete list.