Twenty companies from New Jersey were recognized by Forbes magazine as one of America’s Best Large Employers 2022. The award, presented by Forbes and Statista Inc., the world-leading statistics portal and industry ranking provider, honors America’s Best Large Employers through an independent survey distributed to approximately 60,000 American employees.
Large employers are defined by the magazine as companies with at least 5,000 employees.
In the Garden State, Merck & Co., Johnson & Johnson and Rutgers University each placed in the top 100 nationally. Cherry Hill-based TD Bank was the top-rated South Jersey company, at No. 8 in the state and No. 161 nationally.
Here are the Top 20 large employers in New Jersey this year, according to Forbes, with their national rankings in parentheses:
- Merck, Kenilworth (45)
- Johnson & Johnson, New Brunswick (66)
- Rutgers University, New Brunswick (95)
- Chanel, Piscataway (107)
- Realogy, Madison (115)
- BMW Group, Woodcliff Lake (118)
- Prudential Financial, Newark (160)
- TD Bank, Cherry Hill (161)
- Becton Dickinson, Franklin Lakes (194)
- Public Service Enterprise Group, Newark (249)
- Samsung Group, Ridgefield Park (307)
- Novartis, East Hanover (348)
- Unilever, Englewood Cliffs (359)
- Catalent, Franklin Township (365)
- Sanofi, Bridgewater (405)
- ADP, Roseland (432)
- Wyndham Hotels and Resorts, Parsippany-Troy Hills (460)
- 22nd Century Technologies, Somerset (479)
- Bayer, Whippany (490)
- Quest Diagnostics, Secaucus (494)
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia took the No. 1 spot on the 2022 list, which was published last week, moving up 39 spots from last year’s rankings.
Here are the Top 10 large employers in the U.S., along with the state or district where each is headquartered.
- Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Southern Co., Georgia
- NASA, District of Columbia
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York
- Michelin Group, South Carolina
- Sherwin-Williams, Ohio
- Mayo Clinic, Minnesota
- Carvana, Arizona
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Texas
- MD Anderson Cancer Center, Texas
Survey participants graded their employers on factors such as working conditions, development opportunities, compensation and likelihood to recommend their workplace to a job-seeker.
The Forbes recognition is based on direct feedback from employees, who were asked to rate their willingness to recommend their own employers to friends and family. Only 1,000 employers, comprising 500 large and 500 midsize employers across 25 industry sectors, were recognized. Participants in the survey were asked questions on work-related topics including work conditions, salary, potential for development and company image, regarding their current employer. Employee evaluations also included other employers in their respective industries that stood out either positively or negatively.