U.S. News & World Report this week named 15 hospitals in the Garden State as High Performing facilities among the Best Hospitals for Maternity. The inaugural edition recognized the centers among the top one-third of hospitals evaluated, receiving the highest U.S. News awards for maternity care.
To be recognized among the Best Hospitals for Maternity Care, hospitals had to excel on multiple quality metrics that matter to expectant families, including complication rates, caesarean sections, whether births were scheduled too early in pregnancy and how successfully each hospital supported breastfeeding. Only one-third of the hospitals evaluated by U.S. News for maternity care earned a “High Performing” rating.
Read more from ROI-NJ:
- Med school rankings: N.J. schools have some of most diverse classes in U.S. (and other categories)
- Nursing school rankings: Rutgers-Newark tops state for master’s, Doctor of Nursing programs
“All families deserve to be informed on how hospitals perform on key indicators of quality, which is why U.S. News has compiled and published a trove of maternal health data from hospitals across the country,” said Ben Harder, managing editor and chief of health analysis at U.S. News & World Report. “The hospitals we’ve recognized as High Performing meet a high standard in caring for patients with uncomplicated pregnancies.”
Inspira Medical Center Elmer was one of those that earned a High Performing rating.
“Inspira Medical Center Elmer is honored to receive this national recognition as a best hospital for maternity. Particularly amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, this is truly a remarkable recognition of our team’s unwavering commitment to patient safety and quality care,” said Elizabeth Sheridan, chief administrative officer for Inspira Medical Centers Elmer and Vineland. “The arrival of a newborn is a special milestone for families, and this award is a testament to our team’s commitment to provide a high-quality, compassionate birthing experience for patients. It’s a privilege to serve our community, and we look forward to continuing to elevate our maternity services across our organization.”
The evaluation looks at hospital data only related to uncomplicated pregnancies, not high-risk pregnancies. Participating hospitals responded to a survey from the U.S. News health analysis team in spring of 2021 that reflects data from 2019. Participation was voluntary. U.S. News anticipates updating Best Hospitals for Maternity in summer 2022, to coincide with the release of the 2022-23 Best Hospitals for Procedures & Conditions ratings.
The following hospitals in New Jersey were recognized as High Performing Hospitals for the Best Hospitals for Maternity:
- Morristown Medical Center, Morristown;
- Overlook Medical Center, Summit;
- Jersey Shore University Medical Center at Hackensack Meridian Health, Neptune;
- Jefferson Health-Stratford, Cherry Hill and Washington Township, Stratford;
- Virtua Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, Camden;
- Virtua Voorhees Hospital, Voorhees;
- Riverview Medical Center at Hackensack Meridian Health, Red Bank;
- Capital Health Medical Center – Hopewell, Pennington;
- Chilton Medical Center, Pompton Plains;
- Englewood Hospital, Englewood;
- Inspira Medical Center-Elmer, Elmer;
- Newton Medical Center, Newton;
- Ocean University Medical Center at Hackensack Meridian Health, Brick Township;
- Pascack Valley Medical Center at Hackensack Meridian Health, Westwood;
- Raritan Bay and Old Bridge Medical Centers at Hackensack Meridian Health,