The New Jersey Society of Certified Public Accountants has named its board of trustees for 2022-23, including choosing a new president: Kathleen F. Powers, chief financial officer at the Matheny Medical and Educational Center of Peapack.
Powers replaces Harry P. Wills III of Bowman & Co. LLP.
“Kathy brings specialized knowledge from working as a CFO of a hospital and school serving developmentally disabled individuals in addition to her years spent in public accounting. She has been an inspiration to many professionals, and we are pleased she is taking the reins,” CEO and Executive Director Ralph Thomas said in a statement.
Powers has been an active member of the NJCPA community since 1998. She recently completed a three-year term on the board of trustees and served as leader of the Nonprofit Interest Group and the Healthcare Interest Group. She participates in several NJCPA committees and interest groups, including the Business & Industry Professionals Interest Group, Women’s Leadership Forum, Nonprofit Interest Group and Governmental Accounting & Auditing Interest Group.
As president, Powers will work to inform the next generation of young professionals about becoming CPAs and understanding the benefits of working in business and industry and the nonprofit arena. A staunch supporter of women’s equity in the accounting profession, Powers also plans to focus her presidency on helping female CPAs thrive in the profession.
Other members of the 2022-23 board include:
- President-elect: Edward G. O’Connell, WithumSmith+Brown;
- Secretary: John M. Szczomak, Smolin, Lupin & Co. P.A.;
- Treasurer: June M. Toth, Certified Public Accounting & Consulting LLC;
- Immediate past president: Harry P. Wills III, Bowman & Co. LLP;
- Trustees: Brent M. Ashton, Ernst & Young LLP; Kathleen Bernard, Lota & Bernard LLP; Isabel Del Corral, McIntee Fusaro Del Corral LLC; Nicole M. DeRosa, Wiss & Co. LLP; JoAnne Geylin, Geylin & Associates; Jesse M. Herschbein, CohnReznick LLP; Altheia Leduc, Gold Gerstein Group LLC; Christopher M. Lovasz, Deloitte; Brian G. Nafash, Massood & Co. P.A.; Sean Stein Smith, Lehman College; Michael A. Stillitano, National Retail Systems Inc.; Katherine E. Zech, PKF O’Connor Davies LLP.