Forbes Magazine released its annual rankings for its America’s Best Employers by State on Wednesday, with insurance, health care and higher education organizations ranking highest on the New Jersey List.
The list, compiled by market research company Statista, anonymously surveyed 70,000 Americans working for businesses with at least 500 employees to come up with the state-by-state rankings. The employees were asked to rate their company’s handling of such things as safety of work environment, competitiveness of compensation, opportunities for advancement and openness to telecommuting.
The evaluation was based on direct and indirect recommendations from employees who were asked to rate their willingness to recommend their own employers to friends and family. Employees were also asked to evaluate other employers in their respective industry and state that stood out either positively or negatively.
Valley Health System was named the top health care employer in New Jersey, ranking first in the Healthcare & Social Industry category. Valley has also ranked among the Top 15 best employers in New Jersey.
“These recognitions confirm what we hear from our employees every day. It validates that working for Valley is an incomparable, fulfilling and rewarding experience, where every interaction is an opportunity to make our lives and those of our patients healthier, safer, and energizing,” Jose Balderrama, vice president of human resources, Valley Health System, stated. “We appreciate the fact that our employees find this source of resilience and level of satisfaction in their jobs, and we will continue to work hard at providing the experience they deserve and earning their recognition.”
New Jersey had 90 companies on Forbes’ list — but only 32 are actually headquartered in the state, while the rest are based elsewhere but with a significant presence here.
Those based in the Garden State:
3. Weichert Realtors, Morris Plains
4. NJM Insurance Group, West Trenton
7. New Jersey Transit, Newark
8. Selective Insurance, Branchville
9. Princeton University, Princeton
11. Johnson & Johnson, New Brunswick
13. Valley Health System, Ridgewood
14. TD Bank, Cherry Hill
18. Atlantic Health System, Morristown
21. PSEG, Newark
23. University Hospital Newark, Newark
24. Englewood Hospital and Medical Center, Englewood
28. AtlantiCare, Atlantic City
30. Merck & Co., Kenilworth
31. Rutgers University, New Brunswick
33.Cooper University Health Care, Camden
34. ADP, Roseland
35. BAYADA, Pennsauken
45. The College of New Jersey, Ewing
47. Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey, Newark
50. Sanofi, Bridgewater
5.1 Education Testing Service, Princeton
55. Virtua, Marlton
60. Rowan University, Glassboro
62. Spencer Gifts, Egg Harbor Township
72. Church and Dwight, Ewing
73. CareOne, Fort Lee
75. Seton Hall University, South Orange
76. Cherry Hill Public Schools, Cherry Hill
83. State of New Jersey, Trenton
87. Quest Diagnostics, Secaucus
89. Kean University, Union