To compile its list of the best hospitals in the country for maternity care, in partnership with the digital platform Money, the Leapfrog Group, a nonprofit organization that aims to help consumers make informed decisions about their health and access to safe, high-value care, used maternity care data submitted via the 2022 Leapfrog Hospital Survey.
For over two decades, the Leapfrog Group has collected and published data on patient safety and quality of care from voluntary surveys and other sources. More than 2,200 hospitals completed its flagship Leapfrog Hospital Survey in 2022.
Eligible hospitals were required to receive an “A” or “B” letter grade on the Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade assessment for spring 2022 and meet specific maternity care standards in areas such as early elective deliveries, cesarean birth, episiotomy, deep vein thrombosis prophylaxis, bilirubin screening and high-risk deliveries. The 259 hospitals named to the list are a combination of hospitals that provide care for uncomplicated pregnancies, as well as hospitals that provide care for high-risk deliveries.
“As the health system that delivers the most babies in the state, we are deeply committed to ensuring we provide our communities with quality, equitable maternity care, and these recognitions underscore that mission,” Suzanne Spernal, vice president of Women’s Services, RWJBarnabas Health said. “These distinctions are a testament to our facilities’ commitment to excellence in maternity care and are reflective of our dedicated and compassionate staff who ensure the highest level of care and safety for the patients we serve.”
New Jersey facilities on the list include:
- Capital Health Medical Center – Hopewell, Pennington;
- Hackensack Meridian Ocean University Medical Center, Brick;
- Hackensack Meridian Palisades Medical Center, North Bergen;
- Hackensack Meridian Raritan Bay Medical Center, Perth Amboy;
- Inspira Medical Center Elmer;
- Inspira Medical Center Vineland;
- Monmouth Medical Center, Long Branch;
- Newark Beth Israel Medical Center;
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital Somerset, Somerville; and
- Virtua Voorhees Hospital.