Prudential Center, the arena few people wanted built in Newark — and one many people said would not draw customers — celebrated its 15th anniversary Tuesday. And it did so as one of the most successful arenas in the world.
Prudential Center, which opened with a concert by Jon Bon Jovi and My Chemical Romance on Oct. 25, 2007, has hosted more than 2,500 events and more than 20 million guests — all while serving as a magnet for other companies and projects to move into Newark.
Ranked in the Top 10 globally by Pollstar, Billboard and Venues Today, Prudential Center has been consistently recognized as a must-stop venue for acts across all genres of music, sports and entertainment.
The venue has played host to the Stanley Cup Finals, the NCAA men’s basketball Eastern Regional, the NBA and the NHL drafts — and Super Bowl media day.
But it has made its mark with its entertainment offerings, including the MTV Video Music Awards (twice in the past three years), numerous K-pop bands (it’s regarded as a North American must-play) various Latin stars — and the biggest names in music, including the Rolling Stones, Elton John, Taylor Swift, Bruce Springsteen, Garth Brooks, Jay-Z, Drake, Andrea Bocelli, Bruno Mars, Foo Fighters, the Who, U2, Lady Gaga and Paul McCartney.
Prudential Center also has presented speeches by President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle Obama and held inauguration parties for Newark Mayor Ras Baraka, and former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie.
Jake Reynolds, president, New Jersey Devils & Prudential Center, said the arena is thrilled by the continuous support it has received.
“We are grateful for the entire state’s support over the past 15 years, as we continually strive to deliver marquee content to New Jersey’s ‘Town Hall’ right here in Newark,” he said. “As we come off a record-high year, we are incredibly proud of the reputation we have forged in successfully entertaining spectators, hosting artists, promoting sponsors and serving as a steward for our community.
“This will be a very special year at Prudential Center, and we look forward to celebrating a historic anniversary with our passionate fans, alongside some of the biggest names in sports and entertainment.”
In celebration of the 15th year anniversary, Prudential Center is announcing new enhancements that will be featured throughout the building this upcoming year.
- Sound system updates: Prudential Center debuted its brand-new audio sound system, which consists of eight-line arrays and 22 delay ring locations that feature Adamson speakers and Lab Gruppen amplifiers. The system was designed by Anthony James Partners and integrated by CV Lloyde and Star-Lo Communications.
- Mobile App: The brand-new Prudential Center and New Jersey Devils app is the home for all Devils and Pru Center news and information. It is your key to “the Rock,” featuring all arena events, including ticket management, an interactive concourse and bowl map, A-Z arena guide, food, beverage, merchandise information and more.
- Premium space updates: Prudential Center launched its newest modern, all-inclusive premium experience: studio suites. These first-of-their-kind, exclusive suites are close to the action on the lower level and include an open-arena experience with a premium all-inclusive in-suite experience featuring upscale food, reserved parking pass, up to eight tickets in your private suite and much more.
- New food concepts: Specialty dining concepts include Piez Italian Eatery, home of the official New Jersey Devils Meatball and other Italian favorites, traditional Mexican street food at Street Taco Cantina (presented by Goya), slow smoked barbecue at Mighty Quinn’s, burgers and hotdogs at Black Board Burgers and Japanese-infused hotdogs and tots at Sumo Dog.
- New food options at classic stands: A classic Taylor ham (or pork roll) sandwich, Jersey fries, beef cheesesteak, mushroom and pepper cheesesteak, calamari, crab cakes, Goya-spiced half rotisserie chicken plate, chicken bowl and falafel bowl.
- New and improved full-service bars: Spotlighting the Heineken Deck on the main concourse, PlayUp Lounge, Bud Red Light Bar, the Hijole! Tequila Bar and Jersey Spirit.
- New building partners: Parking Deck presented by Hyundai, Hyundai Skybridge, Hyundai Club, Stick Toss Ale, LeGrand Coffee House with souvenir cups, Fairwinds Estate Winery and Path Water.