fbpx
Wednesday, December 7, 2022
HomeLifestylePublic affairs in 2022: Q&A with Mike DuHaime

Public affairs in 2022: Q&A with Mike DuHaime

Mike DuHaime
Founder, CEO
MAD Global Strategy

Q: In an age when anyone, anywhere, at any time can disseminate information, how can a modern-day public affairs or public relations firm break through the noise and deliver the message of its clients to the masses? 

Mike DuHaime (MAD Global Strategy): 15% of America tells the other 85% what to think. You need credible messengers. In a world of misinformation, disinformation, bad information and idiots with platforms — journalists, decision-makers and customers welcome messengers they can trust. Focus on influencing the influencers, the opinion leaders who talk to others. These could be leaders in business, journalism and government. They’re pastors, Little League coaches, social media commenters, Uber drivers and bartenders. Focus on them, and you will move the rest. 

Q: What are you doing now that you may not have been doing one, three, five years ago?

Mike DuHaime (MAD Global Strategy): While sophisticated individualized targeting has been going on for two decades, the ability to find your customers and intended targets when and where they consume content is greater than ever. Audiences no longer sit down to watch ‘Seinfeld’ at the same time every week. Everything is tailored to the individual — it’s never been easier. It’s less expensive and more effective and keeps changing. 

Q: What is your best sales pitch to a potential client who currently is not using a PR/PA firm?

Mike DuHaime (MAD Global Strategy): No one understands your issue even 1% as well as you do, if they even know who you are. If your target is government, just remember, legislators are part-time, yet expected to be experts in health care, energy, land use, tax policy, education and more. You must figure out how to make yourself relevant within the larger ecosystem of issues. Trust me, journalists and elected officials don’t care as much about your issue as you think they should. 

 

Other Q&A's:

Related Articles