Newsweek on Wednesday released its list recognizing the Top 500 most responsible companies in the U.S. based on performance in the areas of environment, social & corporate governance, or ESG. Seventeen companies from New Jersey made the list of America’s Most Responsible Companies 2023.
To highlight those corporations that are actually serious about trying to be good guys, Newsweek partnered with global research and data firm Statista for its fourth annual list. This year’s list varies dramatically by size and by industry. Newsweek said the largest number of responsible companies (55) are in the materials and chemicals business; the fewest (12) in hotels, dining and leisure. The most in the Top 10 represent the consumer goods sector (5).
A pool of 2,000 companies across 14 industries were evaluated and ranked based on a detailed analysis of key performance indicators in three areas of corporate social responsibility: environmental, social & corporate governance.
For more information on the rankings and methodology for selection, click here.
The Top 10
- HP, California, Technology/Hardware
- General Mills, Minnesota, Consumer Goods
- Whirlpool Corp, Michigan, Consumer Goods
- Merck & Co, New Jersey, Health Care & Life Sciences
- Clorox, California, Consumer Goods
- HNI, Iowa, Consumer Goods
- Applied Materials, California, Technology/Hardware
- Intel, California, Technology/Hardware
- S&P Global, New York, Financial
- Tapestry, New York, Consumer Goods
New Jersey companies
4. Merck & Co, Health Care & Life Sciences
28. Campbell Soup, Consumer Goods
59. Zoetis, Health Care & Life Sciences
64. Public Service Enterprise Group, Energy & Utilities
94. American Water, Energy & Utilities
115. Becton Dickinson, Health Care & Life Sciences
144. Church & Dwight, Consumer Goods
186. Organon & Co., Health Care & Life Sciences
207. Prudential, Financial
215. Universal Display, Technology/Hardware
262. Phibro Animal Health, Health Care & Life Sciences
289. Catalent, Health Care & Life Sciences
388. Burlington, Retail
398. Clearway Energy, Energy & Utilities
433. Automatic Data Processing, Software & Telecommunications
487. Avis Budget Group, Professional Services
496. New Jersey Resources, Energy & Utilities