Hackensack Meridian Health recently said that four network hospitals — Hackensack University Medical Center, Jersey Shore University Medical Center, Ocean University Medical Center and Bayshore Medical Center — were recognized by Practice Greenhealth as Top 25 Environmental Excellence Awards honorees.
Practice Greenhealth also awarded Hackensack Meridian Health with the System for Change Award, and other network hospitals were recognized for their commitment to environmental stewardship and sustainability achievements.
“Hackensack Meridian Health is committed to providing high-quality, compassionate care, and protecting the environment and promoting sustainability is vital to our work,” Robert Garrett, CEO of Hackensack Meridian Health, said. “I would like to congratulate and recognize the hospitals across our network for being leaders in environmental stewardship. We are committed to advancing health care sustainability and look forward to being a leader of positive change in the communities we serve.”
The Top 25 Environmental Excellence Awards is Practice Greenhealth’s highest honor for hospitals. This was Hackensack University Medical Center’s eighth time receiving the prestigious award, and the medical center has received the award every year since it was created. This was Jersey Shore University Medical Center’s second time receiving the award, while Ocean University Medical Center and Bayshore Medical Center’s both celebrated their first time receiving the award.
The health network also was honored as one of the Top 10 health systems in the nation for Sustainable Procurement for the second year in a row. In addition, Hackensack Meridian Health was ranked among the Top 10 in the country for Safer Chemicals for the second year in a row.
Launched in 2002, the Practice Greenhealth Environmental Excellence Awards program recognizes health care organizations for their commitment to environmental stewardship and their sustainability achievements. Hackensack Meridian Health hospitals were recognized in the following ways:
- Top 10 in the Country for Food: Hackensack University Medical Center;
- Top 10 in the Country for Energy: Hackensack University Medical Center;
- Top 10 in the Country for Leadership: Jersey Shore University Medical Center and Ocean University Medical Center;
- Greening the OR Recognition Award Honorees: Ocean University Medical Center, Jersey Shore University Medical Center, Hackensack University Medical Center and Southern Ocean Medical Center;
- Emerald Awards: Raritan Bay Perth Amboy, Raritan Bay Old Bridge, Southern Ocean Medical Center, Palisades Medical Center and Riverview Medical Center;
- Making Medicine Mercury Free: Palisades Medical Center.
“The recognition our team members received from Practice Greenhealth is well-deserved, and we look forward to continuing to implement sustainable solutions across our network,” Kyle Tafuri, director of sustainability at Hackensack Meridian Health, said.
To view the 2022 Practice Greenhealth Environmental Excellence Awards, click here.