Location: 301 Cox St., Roselle
Serving: Central and northern New Jersey
Key leaders: Michele Ford, CEO and president; on July 1, Angela Calzone will succeed Ford.
Inroads to Opportunities is a nonprofit organization dedicated to preparing individuals with disabilities to develop daily living, life enrichment and work skills in a safe, supportive environment.
It was founded in 1959 and has provided programs and services to over 400 individuals each year with all types of disabilities, ranging in age from 16 through retirement. Michele Ford is the current CEO and president of the agency, but Angela Calzone will succeed her on July 1.
Inroads to Opportunities provides vocational preparation, transition from school to work, job placement, coaching and long-term follow-along services, certificate training programs, day habilitation and mental health services to individuals with a variety of disabilities from ages 16 through retirement. We aim to empower individuals with disabilities in their pursuit of independence, life enrichment and attainment of meaningful employment.
- To become a widely recognized leader in serving individuals with disabilities throughout New Jersey;
- To expand its for-profit social enterprises and to be well-known for providing relevant and up-to-date training and meaningful employment opportunities throughout the community;
- Has nonrestricted and diversified financial resources necessary to sustain its growth initiatives, and operates efficiently due to its commitment to lean methodologies;
- Is very proud of its self-directed environment that effectively engages staff and consumers, which maintains morale and satisfaction at a high level.
In the past year, Inroads to Opportunities:
- Was named a finalist in a “2022 Business of the Year Non-Profit Category” competition;
- Installed a limited-use, limited-access elevator and reconstructed two staircases funded in part by Columbia Bank Foundation;
- Received municipal approval to construct and relocate its Inroads Enterprise operation, the Railside Café, from its location in Fanwood to the Inroads campus in Roselle.
Inroads to Opportunities offers a wide range of programs and services for individuals with disabilities, to include:
- Benefits counseling;
- Community-based work evaluation;
- Day habilitation;
- Supported employment services, to include job placement and long-term follow-along;
- Extended employment services, to include cafeteria, janitorial and contract packaging training operations;
- Evaluation & assessment;
- Janitorial skills training & certification;
- OSHA forklift training & certification;
- Foodservices ServSafe training & certification;
- Ticket to Work/Social Security Administration;
- School-to-work transition, ages 16-21;
- TransitionPLUS, ages 21+;
- Trial work experience;
- Mental health partial care.
Beyond its community-based and virtual fundraising efforts throughout the year, Inroads to Opportunities receives both municipal and foundation grants and hosts a large, annual Casino Night & Awards Ceremony each fall. Additionally, Inroads has a contract packaging & assembly operation that serves customers providing hand assembly, collation, bundling, shrink wrapping, POP display setup, heat sealing, poly bagging, inserting, hand folding, sorting, boxing and packing, sealing, labeling and much more.
Inroads is supported by an array of businesses, foundations and individuals … too many to mention.
Inroads actively campaigns for a full array of employment choices here in New Jersey and on a national level in Washington, D.C., through the legislative process.
Reach Angela S. Calzone, vice president & chief operating officer, at inroadsto.org, or call
908-241-7200 (office) and 973-568-6491 (cell). You also can contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 908-241-7200.