Camden-based American Water was recently named on the USA Today America’s Climate Leaders and Forbes Net-Zero Leaders 2023 lists for its continued commitment to environmental leadership and sustainability.
Clearway Energy of Princeton was the only other energy & utilities company listed on the USA Today list from New Jersey, and no other energy & utilities companies from New Jersey were on the Forbes list.
“American Water is honored to be recognized for our ongoing commitment to environmental stewardship,” Lynda DiMenna, vice president and chief environmental & safety officer at American Water, said. “Many of our stakeholders look for measurable progress on our environmental goals and invest with companies that are actively committed to making a positive environmental impact in the communities they serve.”
American Water said it values and focuses on environmentally responsible initiatives that align with its core mission of providing safe, clean, reliable and affordable water to its customers.
Additional awards and recognitions highlighting American Water’s sustainability commitment include:
- S&P Global Ratings ESG Evaluation score of 87 (out of 100); highest score given to a U.S. utility and 3rd highest globally;
- Recognized by Newsweek on its America’s Most Responsible Companies 2023 List;
- Ranked No. 5 in Energy and Utilities Industry category;
- Recognized by Friendly Forces as a 5-Star Reservist Friendly Employer;
- Included in the Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for fifth consecutive year;
- Earned 2022 WaterSense Excellence Award from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
American Water also recently published its 2022 Environmental, Social and Governance Data Summary. The ESG Data Summary shares numerous metrics for 2022, including water quality compliance, health and safety, customer affordability, ID&E, corporate governance and more. The 2021-2022 Sustainability Report is anticipated to be published this summer.