In an effort to help slow — and remediate — the physical deterioration of historic locations, the New Jersey Historic Trust and the New Jersey State Council on the Arts this week awarded 13 grants totaling more than $2.6 million.
The grants were capped at $250,000.
The FY23 Capital Arts-Historic Locations grant program is presented through a new partnership between the New Jersey State Council on the Arts (run by the New Jersey State Department) and the New Jersey Historic Trust (run by the Department of Community Affairs).
The grant program is designed to assist New Jersey’s nonprofit arts organizations that are operating within buildings that are listed or eligible for listing in the New Jersey Register of Historic Places. Funds may be used for construction expenses related to the preservation, restoration, repair and expansion to improve or enhance the facility. Grant funding is provided by the Arts Council and reviewed and administered by the Trust.
“Keeping history alive through preservation is key to building generational awareness and providing educational and recreational opportunities,” Lt. Gov. Sheila Oliver said.
Oliver also serves as DCA Commissioner.
“We are pleased that the New Jersey State Council on the Arts and the New Jersey Historic Trust are combining resources to preserve historic properties, which play a key role in increasing tourism and economic development at both the local and state level,” she said.
A look at the grants:
- Perkins Center for the Arts (Burlington County): $250,000;
- Newark Museum (Essex): $250,000;
- Hunterdon Art Museum (Hunterdon): $250,000;
- CoLAB Arts (Middlesex): $250,000;
- Axelrod Performing Arts Center (Monmouth): $250,000;
- South Street Theatre (Morris): $250,000;
- Ocean Professional Theatre Company (Ocean): $250,000;
- Montclair Art Museum (Essex): $248,488;
- Growing Stage (Morris): $218,417;
- Ocean Grove Historic Preservation (Monmouth): $175,000;
- Peters Valley Crafts Center (Sussex): $126,496;
- Newark Public Radio (Essex): $106,334;
- American Repertory Ballet Company (Middlesex): $47,138.