This year the 420 Expo will be taking its commitment to social justice for the cannabis community to the next level by presenting free Expungement Clinics for attendees.
Open to members of the public ages 21 and over, 420 Expo will take place Sept. 29 through Oct. 1 at the New Jersey Convention and Exposition Center in Edison. The event will be guest hosted by Cheech Marin and sponsored by Wakit Grinders.
The 420 Expo was founded as a stigma-free celebration of the legal cannabis lifestyle, it is New Jersey’s first and largest BYOC (“Bring Your Own Cannabis”) consumer convention.
The Expungement Clinics at 420 Expo will be conducted by legal experts such as Andrew Cooper, chair, Cannabis & Psychedelics Practice Group at Falcon Rappaport & Berkman LLP.
Cooper shares how important this free information is for supporting social justice: “People with cannabis convictions often find it impossible to find jobs, housing or college loans. They often lose their right to vote and the ability to receive public assistance. Many employers won’t hire anyone with a drug conviction or have policies requiring immediate termination if a past drug arrest is discovered — with or without a conviction. The issue is even more profound when you consider that a significant majority of those arrested for cannabis have been simple possession charges.”
Additional attorneys from the region will also be taking part in the clinics as well as offering legal advice during the event, including Michael Hoffman, John Williams, Tara Hopper and others who are donating their time to this effort.
“We are thrilled to bring this type of necessary social support to our three-day cannabis celebration,” Dan Davis, co-founder of 420 Expo, said. “In addition to bringing together live entertainment, celebrity appearances, cool vendors, educational seminars and a huge BYOC outdoor smoking section with food trucks, our Expungement Clinics will provide access to legitimate support that can help people take advantage of their legal rights and make huge steps in achieving their social justice.”
The guest host, Marin, who himself has his own cannabis line, Cheech’s Stash, has long been pushing for social equity for cannabis users.
“Now that recreational cannabis is finally legal in many states and making other strides toward acceptance, it’s so important to fight against social injustices,” he said. “The existence of 420 Expo is a huge step in the right direction. I can’t wait to be there to celebrate with fellow cannabis enthusiasts.”
In addition to free Expungement Clinics, 420 Expo’s three-day BYOC canna-fest will include:
- VIP Meet & Greets with the legendary Marin on Friday and Saturday;
- Guest appearances by other cannabis-related celebrities, including David Faustino (“Married with Children”), Jason Gann (“Wilfred”), Jason London (“Dazed and Confused”), Jeremy London (“Mallrats,” “7th Heaven”), Nicholas Turturro (“NYPD Blue,” “The Longest Yard,” “I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry”), Rachel True (“Half Baked,” “The Craft”), Shawna Waldron (“Little Giants,” “The American President,” “Ladies Man”), Keith Coogan (“Don’t Tell Mom the Babysitter’s Dead,” “Toy Soldiers,” “Adventures in Babysitting”), professional wrestling legends the Sandman and Blue Meanie, activist and champion racecar driver Randy Lanier, and Troma Films characters “The Toxic Avenger” and “Sgt. Kabukiman,” among others;
- 420 Expo’s Entertainment Stage featuring live performances, interactive events and more — plus live music and DJs throughout the event;
- Over 100 vendors from the cannabis world and beyond (no on-site THC sales);
- 20-plus seminars and panels appealing to both casual and experienced cannabis enthusiasts;
- Outdoor BYOC smoking section with plenty of food trucks, music and games;
- Glass blowing, axe throwing, iconic cars from movies, product demonstrations, gaming areas and more;
- Rolling Contest and other games and competitions;
- Extreme people watching.
“Last year’s inaugural 420 Expo brought together 17,000 cannabis fans, and, this year, we expect the party to draw almost 20,000 people,” J. Handy, co-founder of 420 Expo, said. “That gives us a huge opportunity to actively support social just initiatives through our free Engagement Clinics — all while celebrating the huge strides made in cannabis legalization.”
To learn more about the performance lineup and to buy advance tickets to this 21-plus event, visit 420Expo.com. (THC products will not be sold at 420 Expo; however, attendees may bring the legal limit for personal use specified by the state of New Jersey.)