“American Water is proud to be recognized by the U.S. EPA with the 2023 WaterSense Excellence Award,” Cheryl Norton, executive vice president and chief operating officer, American Water, said. “We are committed to promoting water efficiency through thought leadership and education for our customers and are delighted to continue our partnership with WaterSense.”
WaterSense, a voluntary partnership program sponsored by the EPA, is both a label for water-efficient products, programs and homes and a resource for helping consumers learn ways to save water.
More than 2,100 manufacturers, builders, retailers, utilities, government and nonprofit organizations partner with WaterSense to promote water-efficient products, homes and programs.
American Water, together with its subsidiaries, was recognized for its work promoting WaterSense and water efficiency in 2022. Examples include:
- Promoting WaterSense labeled products through conservation educational programs across its national footprint;
- Creating a downloadable Water Leak Detection Kit — a helpful guide for locating indoor and outdoor water leaks;
- California American Water organized a summer drought campaign to encourage customers to conserve water. The company also hosted webinars to educate customers on water efficiency;
- Illinois American Water featured a Water Learning Center on its website to educate residents on finding and fixing leaks and other types of water conservation;
- New Jersey American Water organized a digital summer conservation campaign to mitigate heightened demand in the summer months due to hotter temperatures and an influx of tourism to coastal communities.
“With extreme weather affecting water supplies and quality, saving this precious resource is more important than ever,” Veronica Blette, chief, WaterSense Branch, said. “The 2023 award winners helped Americans look to WaterSense and save not just water, but the energy required to heat and treat it, as well as reduce greenhouse gas emissions associated with energy use.”