We call them the one-offs. They are the type of stories that only tangentially connect to the New Jersey business community.
They are not the typical “who’s hiring/who’s firing; who’s coming/who’s going” pieces you see on ROI-NJ.
But they are good reads — and who doesn’t want that?
From the story of the recovery of a 50-year-old suit, to an effort of climbing slippery stairs … to a look at life as “the accidental videographer” to life as a New Jersey transplant in Tulsa … to the day the Flying Bananas came to town, to the day everyone went bananas when Messi came to town … to my words of advice for college graduates to my funny response to the governor — these are my favorite stories of the year.
No one is going to back up the Pulitzer truck after reading any one of them, but we’re hoping you may crack a smile in the process.
So, as we say goodbye to 2023, here’s one more look at some of the fun we had along the way.
- Any story about a Nudie suit (not what you think) is fun. That a Riker Danzig lawyer was involved in a 50-year story made it all the better.
- Local girl competes in Slippery Stairs event as part of the Ocho. How cool is that?
- They asked me to speak at the CCM graduation. I tried to be funny — and philosophical. You tell me if I succeeded.
- The governor said what? And then I said what?
- Tulsa? You moved to Tulsa? And you like it? Here the tale of the Jersey businesswomen who had enough and left for the Midwest.
- George Norcross was arrested for flying a flag in support of Israel. Everyone saw it … thanks to a Jersey girl who just happened to be filming on her phone at the time.
- A player batted on stilts. That was just one the crazy moments. Life as an owner in minor-league baseball.
- The incredible roar when Messi took the pitch matched the incredible buildup of the game.